One week of lock picking

I am now about a week deep into lock picking, gaining a lot of great experience and insight along the way. After finding some great material online to learn more about the techniques and tools involved, I began the process with an affordable Lock Picking Set on Amazon.

Luoke Home Maintenance Emergency Open Set
Included with the kit was an acrylic lock

The acrylic lock is an excellent added feature to the already inexpensive kit, giving you the opportunity to study the inner workings and served further while identifying what techniques were effective and why.

After playing with the acrylic lock for a while, I tried my hand at few inexpensive pad locks from various sources and determined that just about every common lock could be raked with a combination of picks and tension feathering.

I started to focus and develop the skill at single pin picking and began reworking the locks pin by pin trying to identify binding pins and setting them. This has come a long way in a few short days.

I have been stuck up against one lock that I had got from work with a missing a key, an American A1100.

In this picture I was still trying to tension from the bottom keyway, which I later acknowledged isn't typically done with these locks. My A1100 is a 5 pin with serrated pins and has proven to be too difficult for me at this time. I believe it has to do with my tensioning technique on it, so I have played with the idea of a spring tensioned tensioner.

I felt I had more control and comfort for the top keyway in manipulating the pins, however I still was unsuccessful at this time. While I have made tremendous progress, at this point I am having a difficult time at identifying false sets and sets with the serrated pins, so I decided to keep the forward momentum and try my way at a few residential locks to continue working on single pin picking.

I did a bit of digging and thrift shopping and found a few locks missing keys or parts for cheap. I had thought about making a stand for the handles and latch, but I instead designed a barrel to whole the lock itself so i could continue to picks locks on the couch.

After completing the design and having one in my hand around 2 am, I made a few changes to it and printed a couple more.

I am looking to make a few changes, however it is nice having something to hold on to while working on these residential locks.

I have made a ton of progress in my first week and enjoy the hobby of lock pickinf and have ordered a couple more tools while continuing the hunt for more locks.

To purchase your starter kit and get picking

Luoke Home Maintenance Emergency Open Set

No comments:

Post a Comment

Professional Skills


My Experience

  • __

  • March 2021 - Present

    Technical Consultant

    • Offering recommendations on Networking and Server requirments for prospecting customers
    • Providing technical support on installation and training
  • March 2020 - March 2021

    Currently open to opportunities!

  • 2016 - March 2020

    IT/HSE Coordinator

    • Providing effective troubleshooting solutions involving printers, desktops and mobile devices - maintaining connectivity, end user satisfaction and functionality
    • Composing various documentation providing training in I.T, HSE and standard operating procedures as to ISO 9001:2015 standardization
  • 2018 - 2019

    Network Administrator Diploma, triOS College

  • 2008 - Present (.part time)

    IT Support Specialist

    • Build and support specialized workstations and gaming pc’s, providing cost effective solutions based on customers expectations and requirements
    • Provide on-site, remote and similar managed services through Windows RDS, Quick Assist and TightVNC with secured tunneling
  • __

  • 2012 - 2016

    Technical Advisor

    • Research, design and prototype various engineered specifications utilizing additive manufacturing to iterate design concepts, potential flaws and plausibility
    • Troubleshoot PLC’s, maintaining and developing various process controls with pneumatic and hydraulic circuits
  • 2011 - 2012

    Demanufacturing Technician

    • Provide technical documentation on the identification, safety precautions and dismantling procedures of desktops, servers, monitors and televisions
    • Identify and categorize desktops, server and networking equipment for potential resale
  • 2006-2011

    IT Support Specialist

    • Compiled prospects of our search engine optimization to restore and maintain online presence resulting in streamlined control and analysis of our ranking,
    • Install horizontal runs providing clean and structuralized cable management
    • Perform scheduled backups creating archival storage of sensitive data